Wednesday, April 25, 2012

EID sitting fix

I was browsing threads on DoA and ran into one on modding an Iplehouse EID body so that it can sit up without leaning against something. I've been meaning to do something about this for ages, but other things keep coming up and I end up putting it off.

But not today! I un-strung Theorin and took his torso and legs out onto the patio and set to work with my dremel!


First I made the notch on the legs go down further. The green marks show about how far down it used to go since I don't have before and after pics. I was in too much of a hurry. I briefly thought about carving in a notch in the legs in the front (seen here as ugly scratch-like things) but I'll sand and smooth that out later. Luckily the realskin color goes all the way through so it wont' be discolored.

Then I took in the area in the front part of the hip joint so that the body could lean further forward. I also carved a notch into the upper torso joint to help the torso lock into position when he's leaning forward, but it ended up not being necessary and he can sit just fine without having to use it. 

Here he is, sitting completely un-supported! He still leans back slightly, but it's not near as bad as before and I'm very relieved to not have to lean him against walls anymore!

2 comments:

  1. :D I'm so glad to see that it works! I've been meaning to do it to mine, but A. I'm chicken (he's ebony and I know it'll mess him up) and B. I need a new respirator first. But I really really need to do this, Thomas takes way too much room laying on an entire shelf. Plus I never do anything with him because he can't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh ... yeah I'd be a bit scared to do that to the darker skin tones too! It's hard to be sure how even the coloring is inside. New respirator is important too! Don't want to get lungs full of resin dust.

      I never thought I'd be so happy to have a doll be able to sit up though. XD Normally that's just something basic that (almost) every doll can do with ease. Hopefully you can get Thomas fixed up so that he can do more things!

      Delete