Monday, April 2, 2012

I think I might be in love with my airbrush

So today I decided Ezsphrein's face needed a redo. It's been ages.

I was going to be lazy and just use the good ol' fashioned testor's dullcote, but it was about to rain and it was humid out and it didn't want to stick right. And when I finally did get it to coat the head, I was having a hard time blending. Now, this problem isn't new. I've always had trouble with blending when using ... pretty much any spray sealant. But apparently after only two face ups using my air brush for either the sealant layer or a paint layer to cover mods, I'm spoiled.

So I dragged out the airbrush and mixed my liquitex matte medium with water (I found that a 2:1 ratio was working pretty well for me. 2 drops liquitex to one drop water, that is). It set quickly and gave me enough tooth for ease of blending, but this time not so much that fine details were difficult. (eyebrows were super easy this time)

Alas,  I had this last minute great idea to incorporate some darker greys since Scileraen's face up is so heavy on blacks and such. (in my mind when fire dragons take humanoid form, they tend to have what looks like ash around their eyes). Anyway.. said last minute idea didn't work out so well and undid my contouring work when I positioned it incorrectly. I didn't fully realize this until his hair was on and then I was like "oh.. shit." So it kind of works like reverse contouring, making his nose look wider than it actually is. Not what I was going for. I plan to redo it. I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get that done.


Quick picture of my improperly done work. But see? He has eyebrows. And I feel like the colors blend pretty smoothly. Yeah anyway... so the airbrush + liquitex matte mediium is probably officially replacing Testor's as my go-to sealant (unless there's some hidden drawback to this that I'm unaware of). It also had no trouble at all with the humidity! Yet another bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment