Sunday, May 18, 2014

Doppelganger

I was debating on who to work on next, because while it might make sense to just start in on working on things like Cailath's wig or his clothes next, I need breaks from my projects so I don't get burnt out on them.

I was considering what to do and contemplating various dolls I just don't spend enough time with when I glanced at Doppelganger. I've never given him a proper face up. I mean.. he had a great one when he arrived by someone much more talented than me, but it just wasn't right for his character and I sort of modified it to work with him.

----afsdlkjwrjkewljrlwekj. As I typed that sentence I realized I forgot his scar. Dangit... I'll have to add that later.

Anyway. I decided to redo him because... I don't know why. I just decided I should. And while I was at it I decided to smooth out his elf ear mods and blush them to match his body better.

I took care of the ears yesterday but then I just didn't feel up to doing a face up because I was exhausted so I put that off for today.

It's a lot like the old one but with less perfect eyebrows and eyeliner, BUT better eye shadow (because that was one of my additions to the old face up) and a cuter nose. (I've developed a bit of a thing for blushing noses a bit pinkish/red at the tip... I used to think this was such a ridiculous practice. What has happened to me?)

 I should have gotten a better shot of the ears without his hair in the way but oh well. As you can see they don't match perfectly. I used to be so good at mixing paints to match other colors but lately I've been having a lot of trouble. I'm not entirely displeased though since my ears are also more red than my face so it doesn't feel entirely absurd.

And here is his as-yet-scarless face. The next time you see him (so long as I'm not a lazy butt) that will be a thing that exists.

7 comments:

  1. Nuuuu you're going to scar that pretty face?! XD
    He looks good! Did you do the ear mods or did they come finished?
    It's funny....I usually look at other people's Kara Klums and secretly thing "it's Alex, meh heh heh" but yours doesn't look anything like him.

    Omg I typed this this morning and forgot to post it....it's just been sitting here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And no no, I'm not going to scar him permanently! It's just going to be part of the face up! But I'm still kind of nervous about it because I don't want to have to wipe him if I mess up horribly. XD

      I did the ear mods myself, yes. I'm just horribly bad at additive sculpting so when I do that sort of thing I used about 90 pounds too much epoxy and everything looks like a lumpy mass of awful until I've sanded it for about 90 years.

      You know I was actually a little worried he might end up looking too much like Alex so I'm glad you think that! I always think of Alex when I see other Kara Klums even though I have one of my own so you'd think it'd remind me of mine.

      Haha I do that all the time with messages on things! My brain just sort of assumes that because I typed it, it's out there and then I'll go back and realize I never hit send/enter/publish/etc.

      Delete
    2. XDD I'm the same way. Especially on DOA or with email >.<

      Ha I love scars, and with just pastels they're really easy. Are you doing raised ones or just drawn on?

      Oh I think the ears look great! I was asking because ...I think it's Angel Toast (she does elf ears, right?!) had one, and offered to me when she put him up for sale (because I am the home for wayward Kara Klums? XD). I thought yours might be that one. It was gorgeous...and I love elf ears, but not on Alex...so I couldn't do it.

      ha ha I have a friend with one and she still thinks of them all as Alex too so you're not alone! XD
      They don't look anything alike! Mission accomplished! :D

      Delete
    3. Just drawing them on. Someday I'll get brave and attempt raised ones but I just never feel like I pull it off well enough. Not that my pastel scars are amazing either but it's a lot less work for something that isn't going to be perfect anyway XD One day I may just sit down and practice but I always forget to.

      Thank you though! It's been a bazillion years since I got him so I can't even remember who owned him before me. I am pretty sure Angel Toast does elf ears along with other sorts of mod things. When I was super new to bjds and too scared to mod things on my own I considered commissioning her, but I ended up not doing it because I had never sent a head away to someone else before. Admittedly, whenever I've seen a Kara Klum for sale in the past I've had this urge to contact you to ask you if you knew about it and I don't even know why. XD

      Delete
    4. I like the drawn on ones...so much less stress.

      Lol I always feel the need to buy them, so it kinda makes sense! The only one that was even sort of an impulse buy was Skullface, so I have yet to buy one just because it was on DOA...but I think about it all the time. There is one for sale now. If I wasn't planning on getting one from Dollmore, I'd probably have bought it XD

      Delete
    5. Definitely. And less stress is good as far as I'm concerned. Unless it's absolutely necessary for the character to have intense raised scars, I don't imagine I'll actually get around to practicing any time soon.

      I guess it's good that you at least have a plan for your army of Alexes. That way they don't just take over everything. At least.. not any faster than they already do XD

      Delete
    6. lol seriously....I need a new Alex-shelf already. With Tween back they don't have room to all sit in a row. Someone has to be on a lap....

      At least you practice first. I generally intend to practice...then I just do...and usually mess up XD

      Delete