Thursday, December 20, 2012

outfit progress (now with 'gloves')

Today I painstakingly crafted the glove dealies for this outfit. They're pretty simple, but it was a pain to get them right. The first attempt was fine with just the crushed panne velvet, but the brocade ruined the stretch so it didn't work anymore. If I had been thinking clearly, I would not have done this all in one piece and would have used snaps or velcro to fasten it in the back or something.

Anyway, after multiple attempts, I got these to work. I ended up having to hand sew most of them because I'm not good enough with the sewing machine to be accurate on such a small scale.

I'm relatively pleased with the results, however. Eventually I plan to remake the base robe in red silk and then add a semi-tabard dealy down the front and back so that the lower half of the robe doesn't look stupid boring by comparison.

It absolutely did not occur to me to even look at my sketch plans until after I posted this picture. I added the little parts around the wrist as an afterthought when I felt the gloves looked too plain. I was wondering why I didn't account for that. Then I realized that I DID. I just forgot. 

2 comments:

  1. It is everything Aura should ever wear; it is fabulous and fantastical and ostentacious as hell. Oh man I love it! It suits him so well. :DDD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! You're very kind to say so! I'm sure I'll be more pleased with it once it's all done and the base layer doesn't look like peasant-wear. It's not 'bad' but it doesn't suit Aura at all. He's entirely too snooty to put up with that kind of thing.

      Practicality is for his engineering work. Not for his clothing.

      Delete