Friday, June 13, 2014

baby Sollux gets a body

I drew this picture a while back of Sollux and Eridan (two characters from Homestuck, for those who are wondering) when they were little, and my best friend said we should get doll versions of them as little kids. So I set out to find good molds for them and we both chose ones we liked.

And then we stopped RPing homestuck and sort of stopped having this burning need to dollify them, but not before I acquired the head I wanted for Sollux. For the past ... almost year(?) it has sat in the head cabinet without a body because I needed to get one in grey skin and it just didn't feel like a priority anymore but I figured one day I would come back to it.

Well that day came last week. Someone was selling a grey Fallindoll Rabi on Ebay and I decided to get it to see if I could hybrid it with my Soom Lami head.

Yesterday, the body arrived and the rabbit head it came with was actually surprisingly adorable so I might hold onto it for something else. The neck was a lot thicker than the little Soom guys' necks are, so I had to widen the opening with wood carving tools. It fits pretty well now. Not perfect but not bad.

Then I set about airbrushing the head grey. It took like 10 coats or something to cover up all the pink, but I think it matches the body well now. I let the paint dry overnight so that it wouldn't impede face up attempts. It still kind of did because it dried thicker or more splotchy in some spots so I wasn't working with a very even surface, but I didn't feel like it needed too much detail (and if I change my mind later I can go back and try to fix it with acrylic paints or something).

The body is a little more shiny than I am used to, but it poses really well and seems quite sturdy. Also, he has little rabbit hands and feet, but I can live with that. Might one day replace them with hands from a company that actually does grey skin but that's not a huge priority and would probably cost me almost as much as the whole body did. XD This was kind of an exercise in extreme frugality.

But without further ado, here he is. His eyes aren't the right color in real life but I photoshopped them to look the way they're supposed to eventually. I was potentially going to use a different wig for him, but this was an old one that one of my unoa boys used and I just ended up trimming it to the right length.


He will also need proper clothes but he dresses pretty simply so I don't see that being a huge issue. Just need a black t-shirt and some dark grey pants.

4 comments:

  1. He's so cute!!! I love that head. It's one I always kind of wanted but had no need for. And I love those hands. What did the bunny head look like?? I'm really curious now, I've never heard of Fallindoll Rabi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it too! I initially felt the same way--I liked it but had no need for it. But then when my friend suggested this sort of joint project I decided to go ahead and try to find one secondhand.

      I'll have to get a picture of the bunny head next time I make a post. I had only ever heard of the company when they posted a sort of introductory thing in the news section of DoA a couple years ago. They seem to work a lot more in ABS instead of resin.

      Delete
    2. Oh is the body ABS?? That would be interesting....I've never attempted a resin/anything other than resin hybrid, though I know a lot of people like Obitsu bodies (I can't conceive of spending 200+ on Vinyl though)

      Ha it's always fun to find a use for a sculpt you really like! I did that a lot...but now I have too many dolls as it is and I have to find reasons not to buy them....it's harder to do that.

      Delete
    3. Yep, it is. I think I forgot to mention that. XD Definitely with you on not wanting to spend that much on vinyl. I wouldn't have spent that much if the ABS body was that expensive either. But given that it was cheaper than resin, I was willing to give it a try.

      I am trying to cut back on finding reasons to use sculpts I like. I really am. I only have a couple more that are legitimately on the wishlist and everything else has to wait until I sell things or win the lottery and have enough room for all of them. XD

      Delete