Sunday, June 29, 2014

wig fixing and a picture of Orkas

I finally managed to get Elaria's wig into a tolerable state of existence. No photos yet because it's still drying after the boiling water treatment I gave it. I managed to pour boiling water straight onto my hand multiple times and give them lesser burns a few other times. And one could definitely make the argument that it wasn't worth it since I will likely replace this wig anyway since I don't hate it now but I don't love it either.

It's possible once it dries I'll like it better. I guess we'll see.

In other news, I've become very attached to my Vivien head/potential Orkas. I'm just not sure it's right for him.. but I really really want it to be. I'm going to try getting the right eyes (purple without the really bright centers) and see if that helps. If not, I will probably attempt a different wig possible. And if all else fails I will attempt to make the actual open eyed version of the head work.

It's also possible he just looks too healthy for Orkas. Between the homme skin and the more rounded features, he's just not capturing crazed telepath as well as I want him to. His eyes are uneven so maybe when/if I get around to fixing that I'll redo his face up with more blues and blush in the hollows of his cheeks more and see if that helps. Possibly increase the bags under his eyes too. Or something. I really don't know.

Could just be that since his last face was so intensely frowny, anything will seem pleasant by comparison. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about his previous head. I just have difficulties with making Iplehouse dolls work in person. Alek is probably the only exception to that. Though I do miss my Akando from time to time...

It might also be the lower lip... bit more full than I imagine Orkas' would be. But for some reason I'm terrified of modding the head further? Even though I already did crazy things to open the eyes??? I'm not actually sure what is stopping me. I'm generally not afraid of modding (Cailath's head was limited to 10 I think and I modded it beyond recognition because I'm a bad person...) but for some reason with a head I've wanted for so long, it just feels like I shouldn't. That whole obligation to make it work bit I guess. I don't know.

9 comments:

  1. Well, congrats on getting it to a place where you at least like it! I think he looks great. It just looks like a such a realistic head but with character, which I feel like a lot of the more real-looking companies are missing (like Iplehouse, which is why I just don't like them much).

    He does have an element of innocence to him. Not sure if that's what you were going for or not ^^; I think it's the mouth. That lower lip really is full, it almost makes him look pouty. I totally see where you don't want to mod any more of it either. Somethings are sacred. I'm terrified to mod my new KK head, even though that's why I'm buying it, because it'll be so much harder if I ruin that one than if I ruin some other head I don't care about....even if it's a more expensive or sought after head. I have an attachment to them, even if I don't own them. Or own them yet. Yeah. It's been a long day....

    I'm happy you got the wig to work out too!! Not sure if injuries are worth it or not. If you absolutely loved it and it was perfect, I would say "meh, it's just a few burns!!" but if you're still iffy about it...maybe it's not XD

    I hope they're not too bad <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you! I have to agree that a lot of the time the more realistic heads feel a little off somehow to me. I really like them in owner pics a lot of the time but every time I've handled one it just doesn't have the right sort of feel. I don't know how to describe it.

      The whole innocent thing kind of goes with the character? Sort of? But I feel like it's an attribute that probably wouldn't be readily visible. I may try to work up the nerve to sand down the lower lip a bit. It's just scary. What is a KK head? I have not heard of that. Or did you mention it before and I'm just having a forgetful moment? It was a tiring day XD

      Thanks about the wig! At least it's tolerable now! Makes me feel much better than when it wasn't working at all, at least.

      The fingers are doing much better now, thank you! <3!

      Delete
    2. Lol KK = Kara Klum + me being too lazy to type it out because I seem to do it a lot XD I fail at life lol

      Hmm. If he's supposed to look kinda innocent maybe leave the lip? I think it helps. As for the whole, realistic = meh for me, I think it has a lot to do with Soom and Iplehouse being computer generated. They're just kind of soulless now. I thought that back when I didn't know they no longer hand-sculpted their dolls, and when I found out it kind of made sense to me. Hand sculpted dolls have flaws and a life too them that I can't see in a lot of the more recent releases from those companies - and they are what I associate with realistic dolls. There are other companies I like that make realistic dolls and I don't feel that way about them...but I feel like Soom and Iplehouse kind of dominate that group. I'm not sure that even made sense lol

      Glad you're hands are doing better! :D

      Delete
    3. Ooh okay okay that makes sense now! That's a cute nickname!

      I will contemplate the lip further before I do anything insane!

      And yeah... initially I was a really huge Soom fan and then at some point I stopped wanting anything they released and I could never quite put my finger on what had changed, but I'm guessing it might have had to do with some subconscious reaction to the change in sculpting methods. I definitely understand that symmetry is considered desirable to a point but when it's too perfect it stops looking natural.

      When I went to Donn Kinney's panel at A-kon, he talked about that some actually. And he said that one of the things he does when he's using 3d programs to sculpt is intentionally add asymmetry to give it more life. I suspect this is why I've been able to tolerate my Iplehouse sculpts that I've modded and not the ones I haven't because I am not good at symmetry when modding so perhaps that helps compensate for the excess symmetry from the 3d generating. I don't know. XD

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Yes! That's exactly it, the too perfect looks off. Like they're all robots or clones or something not-right.

    What Don said is so right. I totally agree. I never would have even thought his were done with 3D programs because they don't have that too-perfect look to them. Now I know why....I wish I could have gone to his panel! I love Steve...I wanted one so bad! But I resisted lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dammit why does my reply button never work......

      Delete
    2. The reply button hates fun. That's why. XD I struggle with it as well!

      His panels were pretty great! I enjoyed them! And I also quite love Steve! I thought he was so cool in pictures and then I saw him in person and I want one so bad. One dayyy...

      Delete
  3. Hmm, i am unfortunately not that familiar with Orkas' character but i like very much what i see already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. I'm not sure anyone here is. XD He's a character from a book I wrote. Thank you though!

      Delete