Friday, March 23, 2012

figure mod cont., torso mod: Customhouse body

Originally posted: April 9, 2009, 15:38

 I wanted to do something. In a perfect world, that something would require the use of a hacksaw. So I grabbed one of my bjd bodies that has virtually no posing capabilities short of sitting, standing, and bending the elbows, and decided I wanted to add swivel joints (and possibly one of those double joint dealies) to the upper legs and wanted to convert the torso from two pieces to three pieces.

The body in question is one of the old Customhouse bodies. I've actually considered selling it to get money for a more flexible replacement, but it was the body that came with my first larger bjd so it's been with me for a while and served me well. About five bazillion heads have sat on this body at one point or another and I figured 1) that it was about time it stopped being 'the spare' and 2) it wouldn't be the end of the world if I messed up.

So I began hacking along the line I had drawn with my new mini hacksaw.


And very very slowly worked my way around the body. The resin was thick as hell. Not that I'm complaining--it's very sturdy that way.

An exhausting eternity later, I got it into two separate pieces. By this time I was excessively tired and wanted that nap I was so opposed to earlier, but I still had two legs to cut so I grabbed the large hacksaw and went to work.

The legs were much thinner and this is absolutely wonderful for what I plan to do! I modded a swivel joint into Volks SD13 legs once and the resin was so thick I had to widen the hole so I could fit anything in there and still be able to re-string it.
A swivel joint alone would almost be too easy with all that extra space in these, however. I shall give the double jointy dealy that allows the legs to be pulled up toward the chest some very serious consideration.
Lastly, now is nap time. Or at least sitting still and doing mindless things for a while time.
Edit: Having somehow skipped nap time, I ended up doing more sanding on future Kael and added a layer of red paint. Sadly, I realized after this was done that I might actually want to add onto that area since It was only raised in the front since that was the only part showing on the Sephiroth figure.

In other sad news, the legs and arms seem to be cast in black and not just painted that way, so this could be challenging to work with. It would most certainly be easier to just do Tempest Keep Kael since his robes have sleeves, but there are pros and cons to doing either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment