Friday, March 23, 2012

lip and nose modification: Theorin (Iplehouse Akando)

Originally posted: June 8, 2011, 14:08
I got an amazing deal on an Iplehouse Akando recently. However, Akando was never one of the EID sculpts I really wanted terribly. Yet another case of the body being perfect for a character but the head not quite cutting it. The lips combined with his huge doe eyes made him look a bit too effeminate for what I had in mind. In this case however, I thought I could fix that.
If he's going to be Theorin he has to look a bit rougher. His overall facial structure is fine. Good chin, good cheekbones, nice jawline. Mainly just the eyes and lips that were a problem.
Normally, I would just acquire another head to get the right look. But heads that fit this body are hard to come by and I can guarantee I would not get as good a deal on another one as I did on this one.
SO! Operation lip reduction was phase 1 (oh and it also involved a nose job). There is probably a phase 2 involving epoxy and eyes at some point after A-kon.

^Quick before and after shot. Before on the left, in case that wasn't obvious.
The lips are pretty rough right now. I still have to go in and even them out a bit more. Smooth the lines. Possibly over-reduced the upper lip, but I'm a bit keen on the thin-lipped look. Selly can tell you. She and I agree mostly on what constitutes 'too big' but we disagree on what constitutes 'too small'.
Also messed with the nose. Theorin has a very angular nose. In his case it's likely because it's been broken. This head had a pretty round nose and I figured that if I attempted to make it angular in one go I would mess it up (which might work for a broken nose but I think, being a king, Theorin would have a physician capable of setting his nose evenly even if it still ended up with a bump) So I just thinned it some and made it a bit more pointy in preparation for future work.
Anyway, despite the rather rough quality and unfinishedness of it, I think it's a step in the right direction for the character.
He is also absolutely getting swivel joints added to his thighs at some point. I am addicted to them and his version of the body doesn't have them.
Think that's it for now!









No comments:

Post a Comment