Friday, March 23, 2012

test post: Sasori's modifications

Originally posted:

Today I brought out the hacksaw and did some work on Sasori's modifications so he doesn't just sit around with pencil marks all over him all the time. Resin is incredibly sturdy stuff. I had worried for a while that after I made a huge hole in his stomach that he might not be as stable, but after the incredible difficulty I had getting it cut out, I'm pretty sure he's not in any danger of spontaneously falling apart on me. XD


The most easily seen thing is the huge hole in his stomach! <sub>You can see his strings!</sub> :D However, I also did cuts in his arms and neck. They're not functional swivel joints just yet, but I think at some point I will make them work that way. Not that I NEED them to because he already has pretty good range of motion in those areas, but still..


You can see the cuts in the upper and lower arms better here. He still has pencil marks on other areas that will need to be cut or modified in some way. I have to make a separate ball joint for the shoulders and (depending on how much my engineering skills have improved by then) some way for the right side of the chest to open and shut.

I did more sanding on the 'heart' thingy today so our next order of business is painting it. I may go ahead and do that soon rather than wait for everything to be finished..

Making the hole in his stomach was really hard. Hacksaws just don't want to go in certain directions. I realize I probably could've used a dremel, but that sends resin dust flying EVERYWHERE and I wasn't in the mood to make a huge mess, so I did things the painful and hard way. I took out spare hacksaw blades (which are flexible when not attached to a hacksaw) and just held them with my hands. Miraculously, I did NOT end up with hands that looked like they could've belonged to Kakuzu.. but it was a little unpleasant feeling at times.

I'm currently working on the mechanics of his spool of wiry stabby stuff in his stomach. I want to make it function but that might be a difficult task. XDD

Anyway so I just wanted to show pictures of my progress today! It makes me very happy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm speechless. Absolutely speechless.
    Do you sell some of your dolls at some point, or have you ever considered it?
    Kind regards, Victoria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. I've never sold a doll that I have done extensive modifications like this, but I also always assumed there wouldn't be any interest.

      Delete
  2. Really?
    I would be insanely interested. I don't think I've ever seen a Sasori doll this well made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! That's very flattering.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very welcome c:
    Do you sell your dolls over your blog, a wesite or somewhere I can follow you?

    ReplyDelete