Thursday, March 29, 2012

natural light photos and attempts at eyelash application

So I promised some natural lighting photos of Orkas' face. (I'm sure you all were holding me to that and awaiting them anxiously too).

Well it's rather cloudy out and I had to actually go outside on the porch for these because not enough light wanted to come in through the window. So this means the photos aren't from a consistent angle because I was trying to hold a doll and hold the camera.

In other words, these are ridiculously bad, un-artistic photos.



But at least now we can actually see that Orkas has eyebrows and isn't just completely blank. I really fail at this whole 'natural' thing. Not my forte. I much prefer dark and dramatic, or at least like gaunt and worn out.

While I was out there I decided to get pictures of another sort of project I'm trying to work on. My first attempt at applying eyelashes. I never give them to my guys because I have a near-impossible time making them look like men when they have eyelashes. I realize that real men pull this off all the time, but real mean look a bit more rugged than dolls most of the time. There are a couple of my dudes who I have considered giving eyelashes to (Avelarion mostly) but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

Anna was my test subject. She's my only other girl aside from Elaria who is not currently being sold and Elaria already has lashes. She came with them.



Anyway... this is not my forte. I spent ages trying to get them in last night, let the glue dry overnight, tried to put eyes in and the eyelashes immediately started to fall out. So I looked up tutorials and they pretty much did exactly what I did so that was no help. So I just kind of put more layers of glue over them and on the inside and am hoping that will help them stay. If not I think I'll just swear off the use of eyelashes forever...

These are actually meant to go on people so they're obscenely long on Anna. But I didn't want to go to the trouble of ordering doll-size eyelashes for an experimental procedure that might not turn out okay.

Three coats of glue later, they still won't stay put.  I officially hate doll eyelashes. And these photos may very well be the last time anyone hears from these.

No comments:

Post a Comment