Monday, March 26, 2012

structural modification

I had planned to put off actually modding Scileraen until tomorrow during the day. But then I wasn't particularly tired and was in such a good mood I decided to just go for it! To hell with caution!

Since the porch light would disturb Selly, I gathered my wood carving tools from my printmaking class, got one of my functional respirators, and grabbed my packets of sandpaper. Then I locked myself in the bathroom with a bucket of water so that I could keep resin dust under control.

I wrapped my left hand in an oven mitt and a towel because whenever I use carving tools I inevitably cut my hands pretty badly. Luckily, this time things went smoothly and the process was injury-free!

I drew lines for where I wanted the hollows of the cheeks to be and really roughly carved in the basic shape. Then I pulled out my 300 grit sandpaper and sanded until the surface was relatively smooth. After going up to about 1500 grit it was back to being the same color as the surrounding un-modded resin.

While looking at the jagged shapes my carving tools make, I got the idea to give Scileraen his forehead scars because the jaggedness reminded me of the weird crinkles scars get. So I gouged up his forehead and it's not pretty but it is accurate to his character. (kind of odd that I feel that way seeing as normally I find scars appealing.)

I didn't want to wipe the face up I just did earlier today so I just modded without wiping it and then sealed over it after and just touched up the modded areas. I can sort of see the line between the two parts, but it's not very obvious. Not near as bad as when I tried to mod my realskin Akando without wiping his face... that was pretty terrible looking XD

Anyway, here are some pictures where you can (hopefully) see the mod work that has been done:

Right side of the face.

Left side of the face.

And fairly straight on.

They're not perfectly even, but I'm pretty happy with it.! Also, the wig is dry now (it doesn't look it, but it is.) I used hair glue on the ends to bring them to points but the rest is just the way they naturally stay after my boiling water treatment. I am also pleased with this! I'm sure most people wouldn't find this look particularly appealing but I had a really specific look in mind and a fur wig, while easily styled this way, would have made his hair look too soft. And it's not supposed to be soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment