Friday, July 6, 2012

dolls as fanart

I'm not sure where this falls as far as appropriateness(?) so before I begin this post I would like to point out a few things. First of all, I make no claims upon the character in question or the style that I attempted to imitate. What I've attempted to do is modify an old head that I had already butchered to some degree into Phobs' Batu. While Batu is an actual historical figure, the representation I am using belongs to the aforementioned Phobs, so all credit goes to him/her and I am terribly sorry if this is in any way inappropriate.

I don't have any shots of the head in its original blank state because I wasn't sure if this was going to work at all and didn't really think about it before I started modding.

Here is a link to a picture of the default Dollmore Uri Rich head, which is what I chose to work with.

 This is from day 2 of sculpting when Selly suggested that progress pics would be nice. On day 1 I attempted to imitate one of Batu's many super cute smiles, but I was having very little luck since I'm not a terribly experienced sculptor (this being only my third attempt at something like this). So I just went with a more neutral expression as seen here. (Technically Sartaq, Batu's son, if I remember correctly but I figured some degree of family resemblance was present and it was the best straight on shot I could find that wasn't a smile.) See below. This was my mouth reference.

 After some sanding, I decided to airbrush and face up the thing to see how it was coming along. There are still a lot of uneven spots that I need to sand out, but it was really hard to see where they were until airbrushing. It's ungodly hot out so I decided not to wipe him and get back to work on sanding. That can wait until tomorrow or something.


And here are a couple shots of the head chilling on a body. From further away, it's harder to see where the flaws are so I can get a better idea of whether it's working as a whole. I shoved a random fur wig and spare clothes on him and destroyed an old pair of acrylic eyes so that only the pupil is visible, because I didn't have any eyes that weren't way too big to fit in the new, smaller eye sockets (at least none that weren't already in use)

He reminds me more of the illegitimate spawn of K-doll Kill-U and Elysium Hugo this way, but I'm going to say that that's still an improvement over a head I was probably never going to use again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh hoooo man, I think it looks a lot like him. Like a super lot like him. I don't know what I was expecting, but I didn't expect it to look that stellar. As far as I can tell the only thing I think you need to do is sand him down more, because I think once he's more rounded edgy he'll be perfect. Oh man though, if you get him a wig and some fancy clothes he'll be perfect. xDDD That's soooo coool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much ! :D Makes me happy to hear that it came out better than you were expecting it to. but yeah. Gots to do more sandings tomorrow for to make him smooth and prettyful. Will need to get him proper wig and attire, yes. Prolly have to make stuffs.

      Delete