Friday, July 20, 2012

rit dye tanning

Using funds from selling some things, I managed to acquire a body for my floating Phonolus head. As I didn't want the original body he came with, having head not-so-great things about its posing capabilities, I decided to go for the Idealian body instead. So far as I know, that doesn't even come in Tawny (which is the color my Phonolus is) so I decided to just get whatever color I could and dye it to match.

For only my second attempt at dyeing a doll, I'm relatively pleased with the results. I was too lazy to go get natural lighting shots, but I tried to get the color at least somewhat accurate. I used Rit Tan and Pearl Grey because I'd heard somewhere that the grey comes out somewhat tan. I have no idea if this is true since I didn't try dipping the pieces in just the grey, but the end result was a pretty warm tan color which isn't a perfect match for the head but I feel like it's pretty close. The arms are a bit more of a dull/ashy kind of tan. I guess I hadn't completely mixed the colors yet when I did those, but they're not off enough from the body to bother me either.

Phonolus here will be playing the part of my Malesar, who is supposed to have more ashen-toned skin all over, but I'm thinking I'll try to accomplish that look with blushing instead since dyeing a doll grey is nigh impossible from what I hear and I'm fairly certain I'll never be able to get my hands on a Monzo body (and I'm not sure I'd want to since, as I mentioned before, haven't heard great things about Mega Gem posing).

The Idealian body poses really well so far. Much better than my EID. I was expecting it to be similarly difficult to deal with and was going to just put up with it out of love for the Phonolus head, but I've been quite pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment