Tuesday, July 24, 2012

skull mask

I write (and occasionally draw) Scileraen wearing a mask over the lower half of his face that is part of a dragon skull. A few weeks ago I found something I thought I could use to help me construct something like this.

It was something like the above. Just plastic thing in the shape of a longhorn skull. Mine was less detailed but I can't find a picture of it and I didn't take any before cutting it up.

But here is the shape I was left with after cutting it so that it would fit over his face and be somewhat proportional to his head.

Here is me testing the fit against his face before I start my project.

Because I want to make sure it molds properly to his face, I want it to be on him when I do this. At least initially. So I've covered his face in plastic to keep it safe.

And then I secured the mask on his face and created a smock out of more plastic so that it wouldn't drip all over his body. When my brother was in high school they had a venetian mask themed dance and I made him one out of a basic mask form, adding embellishments with cardboard and then paper mache-ing the whole thing. So I figured I'd try something similar with this because I want it to be more matte and to hold its shape somewhat.

Here it is after a couple layers of paper mache.

And from the side to give a better idea of proportion since it ends up looking quite a bit bigger from the front.

Now I'm waiting for this to dry so that I can work on it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment